How to Sharpen Food Processor Blades: A food processor is a lifesaver! It is one of the most important kitchen appliances. It can chop anything…tomatoes, chilies, parsley, you name it! However, at times the food processor doesn’t seem to be doing the job.
The tomatoes turn mushy, chilies unevenly chopped and parsley looking like it has been plucked out of the grass. You find chunks in the food processor rather than the food being finely chopped. What’s worse……you hear grinding and banging sounds every time you turn the food processor on.
When this happens, the first instinct that might kick in is to change the food processor or purchase a replacement blade. However, there is no such need! We recommend that you buy one of these blades and then you won’t have any need to purchase a new food processor. The only job you need to do is sharpen the food processor blade.
The task is very straightforward and would hardly take 5 minutes of your time. So, folks, this article would tell you everything you need to know about sharpening a food processor blade.
- 1 How to Sharpen Food Processor Blades
- 2 Option 2: Use a Combined Diamond Sharpener
How to Sharpen Food Processor Blades
Buy Safety Gloves
Safety matters! Sharpening food processing blades might seem like an easy job but if you’re not careful, there is a chance that you can cut yourself. Thus, buy safety gloves before you get on with the process.
Safety-resistant gloves are a very useful item to keep in the kitchen. Not only are they cheap but they are so light that after wearing them, you can easily work in the kitchen as they are not bulky and extremely durable as well.
One does need to easily get the hang of sharpening food processor blades. As the blades are short and curved then it can get slightly hard to get the hang of it. But, once you do, you’ll have those blades sharpened in no time.
Option 1: Use a Sharpening Tool
In this case, we recommend that you use a ceramic sharpener. Follow the steps below to learn how to use a ceramic sharpener.
Step 1: Fill the Sharpener with Water
To get the best results, fill the sharpener with water and let it remain for 3-5 minutes.
Step 2: Place the Sharpener on a Clean Kitchen
Place the sharpener on a clean kitchen surface. You can also remove the plastic from this tool if you wish.
Step 3: Run the Blade very Gently
Make sure you’re wearing your safety gloves. Hold the tool with one hand and with the other hand; grip the blade by its spindle. Run the blade very gently through the first coarser white slot at least 7 times. This will help the blades become even and you won’t need to apply extra pressure as the ceramic wheels would be doing all the work for you.
Step 4: Sharpened the Processor Blade
Now run the blade through pink ceramic wheels 7 times. If you want some assurance that has the blade been properly sharpened, you can run it across the paper. If the paper cuts through it means you have successfully sharpened the processor blade.
Step 5: Clean the Blades
Clean the blades and dry them before fixing them back in the food processor.
Option 2: Use a Combined Diamond Sharpener
This is another tool that you can use to sharpen food processing blades. We recommend that you keep this equipment in the kitchen as it can also be used to sharpen blender blades or even knives. Thus it’s very versatile equipment.
Here is how you can use it.
Sharpening SLIM Double Sided and Single Sided Blades
- Double-Sided Blades: Place the double-sided blade on the stage 1 slot. Slide it very smoothly. You should be alternating the blade twice on each side of stage 1.
- Single-Sided Blades: For this particular blade, only use stage 1 first slot and slide the blade twice.
- Double-Sided Blades: Move the blade to stage 3 and alternate it between the two slots of stage 3, sliding the knife very slowly. You should also alternate between the stage 3 and 4 slots and finish sharpening the food processor blade.
- Single-Sided Blades: Only use stage 3 first slot for sharpening the single-sided food processing blade.
Sharpening THICK Double Sided and Single Sided Blades
- Double-Sided Blades: Slide the blade very smoothly through the stage 2 slot. Alternate the blade between both sides of the stage 2 slot.
- Single-Sided Blades: Slide the blade only through stage 2 first slot.
- Double-Sided Blades: Slide the blade very smoothly through both sides of the stage 3 slot. Alternate between stage 3 and stage 4 and finish off sharpening the blade.
- Single-Sided Blades: Slide the blade only through stage 3 first slot.
Sharpening Serrated Edged Blades
- Single-Sided Blades: Slide the blade through stage 3 first slot.
- Double-Sided Blades: Slide the blade through both sides of stage 3. Alternated between stage 3 and stage 4.
Final Verdict to Sharpen Food Processor Blades
Now folks that wasn’t so hard was it? Rather than spending dollars on buying new food processing blades, invest in some sharpening tools to keep in the kitchen to sharpen the blades from time to time. Always remember to wear safety gloves and take help from a professional if you’re still confused about how to sharpen food processor blades.